Defiant Trump Defends Actions During Assault on US Capitol


Former US President Donald Trump defended his conduct during the storming of the US Capitol in an incendiary interview published on Thursday, saying he had no regrets calling his supporters in the riots to Washington.

He told The Washington Post that he would have accompanied his ultra-loyal supporters as they marched to the compound on January 6 last year, but was stopped by his security team.

He was unrepentant for lashing the crowd with false claims that his victory was stolen through widespread fraud, though he was clear in his condemnation of the violence that followed.

“The Secret Service said I couldn’t go. I would have gone there in a minute,” he said, in the wide-ranging interview, adding that it was the largest crowd he had ever spoken to.

Thousands of Trump supporters stormed the Capitol last year in an effort to stop the peaceful transfer of power after Joe Biden won a decisive victory in 2020, described by the administration as one of the safest elections in United States history. Joined.

Trump repeatedly boasted about the “tremendous” size of the crowd at his rally before the riots and glossed over his explosive rhetoric that stirred up the crowd.

“I don’t know what that means, but you see very few images. They don’t want to show pictures, fake news doesn’t want to show pictures,” she said.

The former president defended his long silence during the attack, shifting the blame to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, even though she is not responsible for the surveillance on Capitol Hill and was herself a mob target.

He also pointed the finger at Washington Mayor Muriel Bowser, who “furiously tried to communicate with the Trump team that day,” according to the Post.

“I hated to see it. I hated to see it. And I said, ‘This needs to be fixed,’ and I assumed they were fixing it,” Trump said of the violence, which has been linked to at least five deaths.

The interview came after the House of Representatives voted Wednesday to refer former Trump advisers Peter Navarro and Dan Scavino to criminal contempt charges for defying congressional subpoenas to testify about the riots.

The Sabah Daily Newsletter

Stay up to date with what is happening in Turkey, your region and the world.


You can unsubscribe at any time. By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.



Source link

Leave a Comment